Monday 29 April 2013

NBA player Jason Collins comes out as gay



Jason Collins in Atlanta, Georgia, on 2 December 2009 Jason Collins has been inundated with messages of support

Related Stories

US basketball player Jason Collins has come out as gay, the first active male athlete in a major American professional team sport to do so.
He declared his sexuality in an article for Sports Illustrated which began: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."
Collins said he had struggled with his sexuality for years.
Former NBA player John Amaechi came out as gay in 2007, but he had already retired.
Former US President Bill Clinton was among those who sent messages of support to Collins on Monday.
NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement: "Jason has been a widely respected player and teammate throughout his career and we are proud he has assumed the leadership mantle on this very important issue."

Start Quote

I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue”
Jason Collins
Sports label Nike, which has endorsed Collins, also supported his decision.
"Jason is a Nike athlete. We are a company committed to diversity and inclusion," a statement said.
In the Sports Illustrated article, Collins, who has most recently played for the Washington Wizards and the Boston Celtics, said: "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport.
"But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.'
"If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."
He added that this month's bombings at the Boston marathon reinforced the conviction that he should talk publicly about his sexuality.
"Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?" Collins wrote.
Collins, who is professionally a free agent, having played 11 seasons in the NBA with six teams, said he had tried to suppress his feelings through relationships with women.
"When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged," he said. "I thought I had to live a certain way.
"I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue."
Collins said he decided he should go public after his former roommate at California's Stanford University, Congressman Joe Kennedy, scion of the Kennedy political dynasty, marched in a Boston gay parade.

No comments:

Why cows may be hiding something but AI can spot it

  By Chris Baraniuk Technology of Business reporter Published 22 hours ago Share IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES Image caption, Herd animals like...